With legalization of medicinal cannabis in Oklahoma, there will most likely be a lot of Oklahomans have never had marijuana in any form, or maybe those who haven’t experienced marijuana since that “one time in college”. Whatever the case, certain strains of cannabis are more potent than ever before, and there are many more options than there have been previously. Better understanding of the cannabis plant and its effects has led to innovations that have changed what the world thought it knew about this wonderful plant and has expanded the possibilities immensely.
At Fireleaf, we want you to have the best possible experience with your medical marijuana. So we would like to give some helpful tips on how to safely use (and enjoy) medical marijuana.
- Talk to your doctor. When you are prescribed medicinal marijuana, ask your doctor about how it could react with other medications you might be taking. It is always good to be informed about your health and medications, so ask your healthcare professional any and all questions you may have.
- Know the law. It’s important to be aware of both state and federal laws involving medicinal marijuana. (Please see our Oklahoma Laws on Medical Marijuana page for more information)
- Choose the appropriate setting. Medical cannabis is not allowed to be smoked or eaten in public or in your car. It is legally allowed to be used at your home. If it is your first time smoking or ingesting cannabis, choose a time of day where you know you do not have any other obligations. Early evening after work, for example, is a good time to be able to enjoy your medicinal cannabis.
- Do not drive after smoking or ingesting cannabis. Pure CBD will not impair you in any form, so for pain relief, anxiety or any other cause for medicinal marijuana, this is a good option for your day to day. (See our page on CBD for additional information) But any cannabis product with a substantial THC level is not allowed to be had before operating any vehicle or machinery according to Oklahoma State law. Driving while “high” is grounds for a DUI, just the same as drinking alcohol is.
- Be aware of how cannabis will affect you. If it is your first time with medical marijuana, we suggest starting off slow. A lot of strains or edibles can be quite potent in their THC level, and if it is your first time ever or first time in a long time, it is best to take it slow at first to understand your tolerance level.
- If smoking or vaping: take just a couple of “puffs” and wait 15 minutes. If you have not reached your desired level of what you would like to feel from your medical marijuana, repeat the process by taking one or two more, then waiting again. This is just for the first few times until you understand how your body is going to react. Keep in mind, that each type of strain is different, and will have different effects on you. Talk to your Fireleaf “budtender” to learn about the different strains that we offer.
- If taking edibles: be aware that the effects of edibles take a lot longer to feel but can be stronger as well. It takes anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours to feel these effects, depending on different factors such as, metabolism rate, diet, etc. We strongly recommend taking edibles very slowly. Start with a small piece, wait 1 to 2 hours, and then have another. You will understand your reaction to edible medical marijuana after a couple of uses and be able to choose the right dosage for yourself.
- Do not let medicinal cannabis interfere with your responsibilities. Use medical marijuana with the same discretion as you would use prescription pain medications or alcohol. Do not become inebriated before or during work, as this could lead to possible termination. Don’t let the “high” of medical cannabis effect your daily life and responsibilities in a negative manner, ensure that you use cannabis responsibly. Keep in mind, CBD oil or any pure CBD products can be used for relief without becoming inebriated in any way!
We at Fire Leaf feel passionate about the benefits of medicinal cannabis and its healing properties. We hope that with these helpful tips, you will be able to enjoy your Fire Leaf strain of choice to its fullest! Please refer to our other articles for more information or speak to our knowledgeable staff if you have any questions.